Once your contract has been accepted, you can find your own roommates and suitemates by comparing profiles with other Tropicana Gardens residents. To use this feature:
1. Log in to MyTropAccount.
2. Under the Application/Contract tab, select your approved contract by building and term.
3. Proceed to the Roommate Profile section at the top of the page.
4. Set up your own Profile Screen Name (for privacy reasons, we recommend using a nickname). Enter a short description of yourself that will be viewable by potential roommates. Useful profile details include:
◦ Where you are from
◦ What you plan to study in school (your intended major, where you want to transfer, etc.)
◦ The bedroom style you are interested in and your parents will pay for (single, double, triple, etc.)
◦ What you like to do in your free time
◦ What personality traits you have or are looking for in a roommate
Once your profile is set up, you can click Save and Continue at the bottom of the page to proceed to Roommate Requests.
5. You may now search for roommates in three ways in the Roommate Requests section:
◦ Search for Roommates by Details: This option is helpful if you already know who you want to room with. You can enter the person’s first and last name, or birth date and then click search to bring up the person’s profile.
◦ Search for Roommates by Profile Questions: This will show your compatibility based on only the fields you select, rather than your overall compatibility. To use this option, check off the boxes of the specific questions you want to look at and click search.
◦ Browse Matching Roommates: This option allows you to see your compatibility score with other students and read their profiles. (Just note that not everyone will have a completed profile)
When you are looking at profiles, please keep in mind you can find your roommates (for your bedroom) and suitemates for your suite. We highly recommend you confirm with your potential roommate(s) that you are all interested in selecting the same bedroom type (single, double, triple, quad or super saver) to avoid confusion in the room selection process. The first person to select a room will be able to pull their roommates (for their bedroom) into the room as long as there are enough spaces in the bedroom for everyone. You and your potential suitemates would need to coordinate your room selection to be in the same suite.
6. Did you find a potential roommate, but still want to know more? Send your potential roommate a message by clicking Send Message below their name and details. Make sure you include a way for him or her to contact you again (email, Facebook, etc.) because you cannot reply to messages directly through the system. Useful questions for roommate matching include:
◦ How would your friends describe you?
◦ What do you want out of your college experience?
◦ What do you want to do with your life?
◦ When do you need to be left alone?
◦ Do you drink or smoke?
◦ What kind of music do you like?
◦ Are you a light or heavy sleeper?
7. When you find a great match, you can send a Request (located below his or her name and details). Both parties need to agree for a roommate request to be valid. You can find as many or as few roommates as you would like, but there are a limited number of spaces in your bedroom and suite. You can view your accepted and pending roommate requests on the Roommate Requests page. All of your requests can be edited until you move into our building for the Fall.
8. If you choose not to actively participate in the online roommate matching process, before move-in you will be assigned based on the highest compatibility with the remaining unmatched students.
**Note that students coming in for the Spring Semester Only will be assigned roommates based on the open spaces available.
Click here for a Visual Guide to Roommate Matching (PDF)
Approximately 3 weeks prior to move-in, rooms will be released to our online Room Selection system in batches. You will be notified in the order that contracts were received. You’ll be able to “shop” for a room by clicking on Room Selection at the top of the page, under the Application/Contract tab. Anyone who does not select a specific room or roommate will be automatically allocated by Tropicana Student Housing, based on your preferences and the order your contract was received.
Questions? Try our Live Chat or call (805) 968-4319 for help.